Most people have pest control tips and tricks they may have picked up from a parent, friend or relative. We thought we’d share some tips that you may or may not know that could come in handy down the road. It’s not to eliminate our job as we know it takes the combined effort of both you and your pest control operator for effective pest control. We do ask you to keep in mind, these might not work for everyone, but these have been used effectively to keep some pests at bay :
- Use bay leaf as a deterrent for some pantry insect control. Moths, roaches, ants and even flies do not like the herb’s fragrance. You can even tape a leaf inside cupboards and shelves.
- You can use steel wool in cracks and crevices of your home where rodent entry was evident as rats/mice cannot chew through this material.
- A narrow line of Black or cayenne pepper can be sprinkled around windows to deter pest entry. Just make sure children and pets don’t have easy access to these areas.
- Move around your linens in the linen closet that don’t get used very often to be sure pests aren’t nesting in them.
- Wipe down the areas around your dishwasher and be sure to remove any food build-up from the bottom of the dishwasher drain.
- Rinse your garbage cans out at least once or twice a month to remove any accumulated food particles that may have fallen out of the liner and to the bottom of the container.
- If you are seeing silverfish, chances are you probably have a moisture issue. Check and repair leaks or use a dehumidifier in rooms with a silverfish issue.
- Place a few drops of peppermint oil on cotton balls as a deterrent for rats or mice in areas where they are trying to get into your home.
We know there are many DIY ways to control household pests. On their own, these pest control tips won’t keep all pests out of your home indefinitely. Clean homes can still have pest issues as well. Our main goal is to show it is the combined effort of both you as the homeowner and us, as the pest control professional to work together to control and keep pests out and away from your home.